- Creating a safe space involves both an emotionally and physically safe learning environment. What steps can you take to make following directions fun?
- Building an environment where youth are safe, supported and encouraged to be creative takes time.
Watch as the frontline staff promote a positive emotional and physical space as they prepare students to explore STEM activities.
- Keep safety as your number one priority. When in doubt, choose safety first.
- Develop strategies for creating a space where different student voices are encouraged, supported, and respected.
- Have strategies for conflict resolution and model respectful behavior.
Professional Development Resources
Following DirectionsCategory: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: Following DirectionsCreate a learning space that is safe and engaging and welcomes student individuality.15 minutes
Coaching with Program ConsiderationsCategory: Meeting ResourcesGuide staff as they focus on their settings to create a space that is safe and engaging and welcomes students’ individuality.30 minutes
Following Directions TipsCategory: Meeting ResourcesLearning module: Following DirectionsWork with staff to learn the importance of helping youth understand and follow directions to maintain a productive and safe space.30 minutes
Creating Program AgreementsCategory: Meeting Resources
Use this Virtual Meeting Resource to work with staff to develop program agreements.30 minutes
Creating Core Agreements for a Safe SpaceCategory: Meeting Resources
Develop a list of core agreements with staff.30 minutes
Identifying the Needed SkillsCategory: Training Resources
Identify characteristics of a safe environment and understand the importance and benefits of creating a safe space for youth.1 hour, 30 minutes
What We Do and Say MattersCategory: Training Resources
Use this Training resource to work with staff to create a mutually respectful, relaxed, supportive STEM learning environment for youth.1 hour, 30 minutes
Communication for a Safe SpaceCategory: Meeting ResourcesStaff have the opportunity to focus on their settings to create a space that is safe and engaging and welcomes individuality15 minutes
Utilizing Action Plans through CoachingCategory: Coaching Resources
This one-on-one Coaching guide will help staff focus on one goal to implement in developing a safe environment.15 minutes