- Watch as a volunteer engineer gives youth real-world engineering application of the project they are doing in Robotics.
- Watch as Richard helps youth see themselves as engineers as they brainstorm how to light up an LED using simple circuits.
Watch experienced frontline staff members, Leslie and Shelly, purposefully use an engaging STEM activity to encourage youth to think about their role and contributions to STEM.
"I have always had a special enthusiasm for learning," said Mariah. "I loved lab days and could not wait to present research projects to the rest of my class." Listen as Mariah talks about the real world experience at the California Academy of Science and how she sees herself as someone who can be a contributor to STEM.
- Encourage youth to meet people who work in STEM through citizenship science projects or service learning projects.
- Help youth see themselves as contributors to STEM. Point out that new discoveries are made everyday.
- Recognize your youth's’ interests and integrate their interests into STEM experiences. For example: plan activities around the physics of football for youth excited about the upcoming football game.
- Focus on the process, not the product. Don’t worry so much about the correct answer and have fun engaging in the process!
- Find STEM role models that are representative of the population you work with. Youth identify with people who look like them in STEM fields.
Professional Development Resources
I Can Do STEMCategory: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: I Can Do STEMSupport youth in viewing themselves as people who learn about, use and sometimes contribute to science.15 minutes
Let There Be Light!Category: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: Let There Be Light!Engage youth in STEM learning by providing opportunities for youth to direct and manage their own learning.15 minutes
Every Day STEMCategory: Training ResourcesLearning module: I Can Do STEM, Let There Be Light!, Emerging STEM Identities , Real-World Application of SkillsLearn how to use a "Mystery Science Visitor" to help youth develop and affirm their STEM identity.1 hour, 30 minutes
Digging Up Your Inner ScientistCategory: Training ResourcesLearning module: I Can Do STEM, Let There Be Light!, Emerging STEM Identities , Real-World Application of SkillsDevelop a STEM Identity in youth by focusing on the skills an Archeologist uses in their work.1 hour, 30 minutes
Involving Families to Support STEM IdentityCategory: Meeting ResourcesLearning module: I Can Do STEM, Let There Be Light!, Emerging STEM Identities , Real-World Application of SkillsBring together staff virtually to learn strategies to involve families in developing a STEM identity.15 minutes
Finding PartnersCategory: Meeting ResourcesBrainstorm strategies during a team meeting to utilize resources from the Society of Women Engineers.30 minutes
Getting RealCategory: Coaching ResourcesA coaching session on brainstorming with staff possible community opportunities for developing a STEM identity.30 minutes
What We Say CountsCategory: Coaching ResourcesBrainstorm language staff can use to develop a STEM identity in youth.30 minutes
Women's WorkCategory: Coaching ResourcesGuide your staff in developing a conversation with youth around developing an identity as someone who can contribute to science.15 minutes