- Watch as Perrin uses color coded "traffic light" cards as an assessment strategy.
- Perrin has youth engage in two assessable activities to show their learning.
- Help youth set goals for a STEM activity by developing a rubric together.
Watch as frontline staff work with youth to build an earthquake-proof structure. What strategies does Leslie use to assess that students are learning the engineering process?
- Observe, listen, and ask questions to assess if youth are understanding the content being covered.
- Encourage youth to write their observations and notes in a science journal during STEM activities.
- Authentic assessments are not giving a test to youth or comparing the abilities of youth.
- Share the goal of the activity with youth before you start. After you have finished, ask youth if you have achieved the goal.
Professional Development Resources
Like a Real EngineerCategory: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: Like A Real Engineer!Engage youth in STEM learning by presenting STEM career pathways and the practical application of basic STEM skills that professionals use every day.15 minutes
Creating RubricsCategory: Training ResourcesStaff will develop an understanding of rubrics and how to create them with youth.1 hour, 30 minutes
Creating Student-Directed RubricsCategory: Meeting ResourcesStaff will be able to identify the skill of making authentic assessments of STEM learning through the strategy of creating student-centered rubrics.30 minutes
Using Student-Created RubricsCategory: Coaching ResourcesStaff reflect on their use of student-centered rubrics and identify an action plan to further implement the skill in their practice.15 minutes
Building for the Big OneCategory: Training Resources
Use this training guide with frontline staff and volunteers to help them collect and use information about what youth are learning during STEM lea1 hour, 30 minutes
Angles, Shapes and Target PracticeCategory: Training Resources
Frontline staff and volunteers will develop strategies to formally or informally evaluate STEM learning.1 hour, 30 minutes
Activities to Guide Authentic AssessmentCategory: Meeting Resources
Take time at your next staff meeting to give staff the opportunity to develop authentic assessment strategies/tools during STEM experiences.30 minutes
Discover Authentic AssessmentCategory: Meeting Resources
Frontline staff and volunteers will have the opportunity to discover authentic assessment strategies through the use of video.15 minutes
Using Self Reflection to Discover Authentic AssessmentCategory: Coaching Resources
The purpose of this observation tool is to help staff focus on self reflection when making authentic assessments with youth.30 minutes