- Youth develop their own questions to quiz each other on STEM learning.
- Staff use "plussing" and other strategies to help youth reflect and process STEM learning.
Watch as Katie, the facilitator, guides the STEM activity to encourage learners to understand science and engineering skills by reflecting on what is happening and processing the outcome.
- Provide opportunities to reflect on learning at the beginning, middle, and end of the activity.
- Ask purposeful questions about the STEM experience to help youth make real world connections and connections to other experiences.
- Guide, but do not dominate, discussions to help youth make sense of what is happening in the activity.
- Include time for individual reflection, such as journaling, thinking on their own and then sharing their thoughts, or developing individual explanations.
- Include time for group reflection, such as large and small group discussions, charting observations, or developing a group explanation.
- There are many strategies you can use to get youth to reflect on the STEM activity - have them act out a play, write a song, use art = draw pictures, make a model, etc. - all of them help youth reflect and process.
Professional Development Resources
Making Meaning from STEM LearningCategory: Coaching ResourcesCreate an action plan for engaging youth in STEM by encouraging them to deepen their understanding by reflecting on and processing experiences.15 minutes
Developing Strategies as a Team 2Category: Meeting ResourcesIn this virtual meeting, participants collaborate together to identify focus areas for reflecting and processing.30 minutes
Going Deeper 2Category: Coaching ResourcesStaff will set ogals for incorporating reflection and processing strategies into their STEM activities.30 minutes
Developing a Plan 1Category: Coaching ResourcesParticipants will develop a plan to implement effective strategies.15 minutes
Program Considerations 2Category: Meeting ResourcesLearning module: Developing a STEM Project
How to better understand the program practices involved in creating safe spaces for STEM learning.30 minutes
Discovering Skills - Level 2Category: Training ResourcesLearning module: Creating Opportunities for Youth to Reflect, Developing Our Own Questions, Making Meaning from STEM Learning
In this training, particpants go deeper as a team to discover strategies and develop a plan to implement1 hour, 30 minutes
Developing Strategies as a Team 1Category: Meeting Resources
In this virtual meeting, participants collaborate together to identify focus areas for reflecting and processing.30 minutes
Reflecting and Processing STEMCategory: Coaching Resources
In a one-on-one session, participants will work on their focus area for reflecing and processing STEM.15 minutes
Discovering Skills - Level 1Category: Training ResourcesLearning module: Creating Opportunities for Youth to Reflect, Developing Our Own Questions, Making Meaning from STEM Learning
Participants will work on an action plan to focus on facilitating opportunities for reflecting and processing STEM activiites.1 hour, 30 minutes