- Watch as Mr. Allen challenges youth to test their predictions regarding produce.
- Staff create a space that encourages youth to investigate alternative designs.
- Watch as Gauri works with youth to design, build and test a cook stove. Take note of how she encourages students to re-test or re-design their stove idea.
- Help youth remember that testing and re-testing lets us learn from our mistakes.
- Emphasize that each test teaches us something new and helps us build knowledge.
- Using positive language, reinforce that if youth learned what didn’t work, then they were successful!
- Model this behavior by keeping a positive attitude and telling youth what you learned when activities don’t go as planned.
Professional Development Resources
Fostering Meaningful Interactions with DataCategory: Coaching ResourcesLearning module: Preparing to Present Findings ProfessionallyFoster the use of a variety of documentation strategies in STEM learning experiences.
Supporting Testing and Re-testing: Welcoming Change - Heavy LiftingCategory: Training ResourcesLearning module: Affirming Youth During Retesting, Testing Predictions About Produce, Try & Try AgainUsing NASA's Heavy Lifting Rocket Activity, staff will focus on the role of observation, refining designs, and re-testing in the engineering process.1 hour, 30 minutes
Encouraging Youth With Testing and Re-testing - Heavy LiftingCategory: Training ResourcesLearning module: Affirming Youth During Retesting, Testing Predictions About Produce, Try & Try AgainUsing NASA's Heavy Lifting Rocket Activity, staff will learn the importance of testing and re-testing and how to support youth during this process.1 hour, 30 minutes
Supporting Testing and Re-Testing: Welcoming ChangeCategory: Training Resources
The focus in this training session is on conducting focused observations, refining the designs, and re-testing.1 hour, 30 minutes
Encouraging Youth with Testing and Re-TestingCategory: Training Resources
This training session help staff members and volunteers encourage youth to keep trying, and support youth who try out new skills with imperfect re1 hour, 30 minutes
Discussing Testing in the Design ProcessCategory: Meeting Resources
This face-to-face meeting focuses on using testing in the design process30 minutes
This is a TestCategory: Meeting Resources
This face-to-face meeting encourages testing and the value it has in a STEM activity15 minutes
Observation and Re-TestingCategory: Meeting Resources
This virtual meeting session focuses on developing observation skills as part of testing and re-testing.30 minutes
Re-Testing and SuccessCategory: Coaching Resources
This session focuses on supporting students through the re-testing phase of the activity.30 minutes