Become a Certified Click2Science Trainer!
This two-day training is designed for individuals who facilitate Click2Science professional development workshops with staff or volunteers in out-of-school time programs. Similar to popular Click2Science educator workshops, the Trainer Institute is an interactive, research-based experience where trainers will learn best practices in STEM professonal development. Participants will receive an official Click2Science Trainer certification signifying their competency to deliver Click2Science workshops, along with a five-session training program to use with frontline staff.
Date: April 24-25, 2017
Location: Embassy Suites Old Market Omaha, NE
Early Bird Registration: $250 before February 28, 2017
Registration Fee: $300*
Registration Deadline: March 27, 2017
- Pre-Training Webinar on April 5, 2017 @ 1:00 PM CT
- Click2Science Inquiry Training Program**
- Site Visit to Critically Acclaimed Henry Doorly Zoo
- Meals and Refreshments
- Click2Science Trainer Certification
- Post-Training Follow-up
Lodging is available at the Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown Old Market at the special rate $144 per night plus taxes. This includes a free shuttle to and from the airport, breakfast, and high speed internet in your room.
Reserve your room by calling 1-800-EMBASSY and using the group code MUN, or by visiting our Embassy Suites reservation page. Reservations must be made by the final registration deadline of March 27, 2017.
**Click2Science Inquiry Training Program includes five training sessions designed to help staff build inquiry into learning OST STEM experiences, plus one boosting session. A bonus conference presentation with PowerPoint and evaluation tools is also included.
Day 1: Monday, April 24
- 12:00 PM - Lunch (provided)
- 1:00 PM - Ice Breaker
- 1:30 PM - Model: Inquiry: The Skills Your Staff Need, Hands-on session
- 3:00 PM - Discussion
- 3:30 PM - Break
- 3:45 PM - Inquiry Skill 1
- 4:15 PM - Click2Science Coaching Resources
- 5:00 PM - Inquiry Skill 2
- 5:30 PM - Digital Badges for OST staff
- 6:00 PM - Reflection
- Complimentary Cocktail Hour at Embassy Suites
- Dinner on your own in the Old Market
Day 2: Tuesday, April 25
- 8:00 AM - Ice Breaker
- 8:20 AM - Break Room Sharing Session
- 9:00 AM - Inquiry Skill 3
- 9:30 AM - Hands-on Inquiry Experience
- 10:30 AM - Break
- 10:45 AM - Discussion
- 11:05 AM - Inquiry Skill 4
- 11:35 AM - Discussion
- 12:00 PM - Lunch (provided)
- 1:00 PM - Inquiry Skill 5
- 1:30 PM - Working with Program to Plan a Training
- 2:15 PM - Discussion
- 3:00 PM - Expectations and Follow-up
- 3:20 PM - Reflection
- 3:45 PM - Travel to Henry Doorly Zoo
- 4:15 PM - Networking Event at Henry Doorly Zoo
- 7:00 PM - Dinner (provided)
Making the Case to AttendThank you for your interest in attending the Trainer Institute in Omaha, Nebraska on April 24-25, 2017. As part of the afterschool ecosystem, we know that budgets are tight and your time is valuable. We’ve gathered some information to help you explain the value of attending this important training to your organization. We want to help you:
- Know the cost of attending the institute
- Know the outcomes
- Explain the benefits to your organization
Step 1: What will it cost?We have worked very hard to keep the costs low. Your organization will want an estimate of all the expenses for the Trainer Institute. You can use the table below to calculate your costs.
|Hotel Accommodations 3|
|Per Diem/Meal 4|
|Total Cost for Attendance|
1Registration for the Trainer Institute is $250 if you register prior to 2/28/17 and $300 from 3/1/17 through 3/27/17.
2 Travel cost will depend on where you live. You should plan to arrive in Omaha, NE by 12:00 PM on Monday April 24, 2017 and to depart on Wednesday April 26, 2017. The standard mileage reimbursement rate set by the IRS is $0.535/mile. There are several airlines that fly to Omaha airport, OMA, including American, Southwest, Delta and United airlines.
3 A block of rooms has been reserved at Omaha Old Market Embassy Suites at a rate of $144 per night. You can use the conference registration code MUN to reserve your room at this rate. Contact the hotel to schedule the free shuttle to and from the airport.
4 Most of the meals during the institute are included in your registration, but you should budget for your breakfast and dinner on Monday (lunch is provided) and any meals as you travel on Wednesday April 26. The federal per diem rate for Omaha, NE is $64.00 and you can expect dinner prices to range from $11-$60 in the Old Market area.
Step 2: What are the outcomes?
The purpose of the Trainer Institute is to develop local expertise to support high quality STEM facilitation by staff in OST programs across the country. Out team is looking forward to working with trainers to help them determine the best way to utilize resources from Click2SciencePD to support their organization(s) and invest in their staff. Participants of the Trainer Institute will:
- Learn best practices for providing hands-on, interactive training for OST program staff utilizing resources from Click2Science
- Develop expertise with the Click2Science model of blended professional development
- Become proficient at integrating resources from Click2Science into regular staff meetings
- Learn to use evaluation tools from Click2Science to describe the impact of the training experiences you provide
- Develop strategies to "train-the-trainers" in your organization in using Click2Science resources
- Receive the Click2Science Inquiry Training package designed to support staff in implementing Inquiry-based investigations and:
o Encouraging collaborative STEM work
o Giving youth control (youth voice and choice)
o Modeling Science Inquiry practices
o Helping learners develop and expand explanations
o Supporting documentation of Inquiry learning
- Be a certified Click2Science trainer and be part of our trainer network
- Participants will visit the critically acclaimed Henry Doorly Zoo and learn about how they engage with OST programs locally and nationally.
- Certified Click2Science trainers will receive technical assistance in implementing the PD resources and the opportunity to be part of the Click2Science professional learning network.
Step 3: What are the benefits to your organization?
We believe you are in the best position to explain the benefit to your organization. Consider what organizational goals or priorities this training can help meet. These may be related to improving program quality or youth outcomes by supporting high quality STEM learning experiences. Participating in the institute will strengthen or develop your local resources for staff development and retention. Here is a sample message to share:
The inaugural Click2SciencePD National Trainer Institute provides an opportunity for our organization to build our expertise in STEM programming and invest in staff development. By sending [ fill in name(s) ] to the institute, we will develop their expertise in training our staff to provide high quality STEM learning experiences. They will bring ideas and resources we can use in our staff development and the opportunity to collaborate with Click2SciencePD.
I estimate the cost of attending will be [ insert ].
I plan to use the information and skills gained at the training to [insert your goal/plan ].
Thank you for your interest in the Click2SciencePD Trainer Institute. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Dr. Saundra Frerichs at email@example.com.